As started in article 3, some parasite we talked about can be found in some fish organ like gills, body skin even in fins, mouth etc. the fin is one of the most suitable place of attachment by these parasite. Some of the prevention and treatment measure are started below;
- Avoid purchasing infected fry
- Drain, dry and disinfect pond/tank after each harvest
- Avoid contaminated water supply, net and other input
- Good water quality and feed management practice
- Remove fish carcass from pond/tank regularly.
- Control/prevent predator from having access to the pond/tank
- Dip fish in a formalin and water mix for about 30 minutes.
DISEASE CAUSED BY FUNGUS IN FISH
Fungal are low form of plant life capable of producing disease, its infection are usually of secondary and indicative of other problems, example of some fish fungus are: Saprolegenia, Achyla and Brachiomycosis . Some of the common factors that promote fungal infection in fish are started below:
- Stress of fish as a result of overcrowding.
- Poor handling of fish at stocking or during partial harvest or sorting or when practicing induced breeding.
- Starvation in pond or under-feeding can cause the fish to feed on rotten, mouldly feed.
SYMPTOMS OF FUNGUS DISEASE
- Fish having a general cotton-like appearance associated with discolored area or lesions or affected part of the body especially due to wounds results from poor handling procedure.
- Fungal assumes the color of material suspended in the water.
- Handle fish carefully at stocking or sampling or during partial harvest or during sorting/grading.
- Stock fish at the recommended rate.
- Maintain good water quality.
- Feed fish with balanced ration.
- Avoid aortic feeding practices.
- Feed fish base on the recommended feeding rate.
- Maintain good sanitation.
- Proper storing of fish feed.
For Viral disease, disease cause by malnutrition and management related disease in Cat-fish/Tilapia and other fish; I advise you read our next Article part 5…..
Nicholas Izekor is an Aquaculture Trainer at The Ark Shore Konsults (T.A.S.K.). He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Fisheries Management from the University of Benin, Nigeria.